Friday, September 25, 2015

Beautiful


Is this the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life?

That's what keeps going through my head as I explore the park. The mountains, the trees, the moon, the mist, it's all incredibly beautiful. I know my friends from other places like out west, like Israel, like Zimbabwe, will think I'm crazy for thinking this. They'll tell me I have to see the red wood forests, I have to see the desert, I have to see the falls.

I will. But seeing a landscape like this in such abundance reminds me of the one place I ever considered home, amplified. I find comfort in the sound of birch, fir, oak trees swaying and singing in the wind. I am so excited to explore the world; I haven't seen enough of it yet.

 I've seen the grand canyon, shooting stars, huge falls, the ocean; I know it isn't true, the Adirondacks isn't the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life. But it is among many. I keep asking myself that initial question because I feel so incredibly grateful to be here and so comforted. I am constantly overwhelmed by a feeling of thankfulness and no place has ever made me feel that way.

This is just the first time. When I finally do venture out west, to the desert, to the falls, I will spend some time there and constantly be reminded of how thankful I am just to exist in such a beautiful world.

How is exciting is that.

1 comment:

  1. one of my favorite scenes from any movie ever puts an interesting perspective on what we see and will never get the chance to see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8FJyhnC2Eo

    ReplyDelete