Thursday, September 24, 2015

I feel good from my head tomatoes

Peg’s thick Jamaican cadence
ricochets off the cooler’s walls.
The boxes flying
Swoop, catch, swoop, catch.
An assembly line that never stops.

Beets spring out of the chalky ground.
I chew a leaf,
Bitter and perfect.
The machine swallows the stalks one by one.
Magenta
juice bleeds into my hands.

Sun gold tomatoes
peppered throughout the vines,
a canopy over my head,
can I reach it?

Ian moves a mile a minute
Only move rocks this big, he says.
All I see is the fuzzy pink sweater
someone gave him yesterday.
He wore it.

Sizzling peppers on the ancient stove,
A greenhouse-turned-kitchen.
Hammocks, sleeping pets, and deserted car seats,
No two plates are alike.

My fingers held so much today.
How many tools?
pea shoots?
carrots?
The sleeve of dirt seems permanent.

Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment