Friday, September 18, 2015

The ravine down the hill inspires me. Let's wax poetic

My Girl
This is for the girl who yanked teeth out of her mouth
just so the tooth fairy could cough up quarters.
She knew it was her mother’s laundry money
but she didn’t need clean clothes anyways.
She was too busy dancing in the mud, too busy loving
the way dirt caked on her ankles. She loved the way
the water turned black as it fell from her skin.
This is for her.

She’s a woman now.
She told me she once forgot
what it felt like to be a river,
frenetic and flowing.
She forgot what to do with dirt.
She forgot how to bounce it back and forth,
water on rocks.
She said everything is changing
but for a moment she was not.
The rain river water sat still in her
lungs.
A puddle of silt.
Stagnant.

Then tooth fairy girl
splashed her bare toes
into still water
and she told me
she remembered the smell
of rain again,
and the way it felt to
see nothing in front of you
when water dropped on you
like rivers, like oceans, spilling all around you
telling you I’m here. I’m here.
And so are you.

1 comment: