Thursday, September 3, 2015

Cows and Lust: The Directors Cut

The cows came trudging into the milk house at 6:00 am like any other summer morning, but today was anything but ordinary. What had been a relaxing night for our humble herd had been one of the longest in my life. In fact it felt like two completely different nights. Split between when had dust the had settled from the fight between my parents and when we ended up alone together.
Our time together was a time warp.
1:27 am went to 5:19 in the blink of an eye, at which point I had to depart to tend to the cows, wearing the same clothing as yesterday. I can only hope the Joe doesn't notice.
As we prepped the girls for their daily milking, all I could think of is the way your hips meet your thighs and the taste of your lips that remained long after we parted. I want to run my fingers down the topographical map that is your body. Your mountains and valleys, rivers and peaks; the landscape that guides me. You are John Denver's Country Road. And more importantly you are my Mountain Momma. I long to taste your skin and to smell the perfume that lays at the nape of your neck, but for now all that I can smell, see, taste, touch and hear, is cow shit.

3 comments:

  1. Yes! I love how you took such a humorous combination of words and turned it into something seriously evocative. I especially want to know more about the speaker's home life (you mentioned a fight between her parents) and her history with this person she (?) is so infatuated with as she (?) performs her pre-dawn regimen the morning after a significant night together; what details during the middle of the night between these two people made it seem like a "time warp"? why is the speaker desperately yearning for more, and why isn't she satisfied to just reminisce about what happened last night? Were the speaker's parents fighting over something related to this intimate partner? Or was the intimacy a way for the speaker to escape/cope with the fight? Or some alternative?

    These are just my interpretations... I hope to read another scene from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is really cool Izzy... I like how you expanded Tina Hall's writing exercise from class last week. Your take of two words is very creative. On a side note: happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly love this post for many reasons:

    1. What a way to take a prompt and ride it out. I think you did a wonderful job relating two seemingly unrelatable words. I especially love that the piece ends on "cow shit." It'd be interesting to see this further developed- maybe a journal entry?

    2. What struck me most about this post is that you really took Onno's challenge. He asked us to go outside of the box and you did exactly that, which is not easy by any means. I really enjoy the creative twist on the blogpost and I hope to see more posts like it, maybe even some of my very own!

    3. I also love that you brought your internship at Sugarhouse (correct? I know you're at one of the dairy farms) into your writing. This is heavily influenced by your time here in the Adirondacks and we've only been here for a short time. I can't wait to see what you'll do in a month, in a semester.


    Thanks for the great read, Izzy.

    ReplyDelete