Sunday, September 13, 2015

It's Okay, Mr. Teddy


Growing up, I always had a tendency to feel empathetic toward inanimate objects. Even if I grew out of clothes or didn’t hated them and never wore them, I wouldn’t want to give them away because it felt like abandonment (I still struggle with this from time to time). I would also create rotations to allow my stuffed animals to take turns sitting on my bed so that none of them would feel left out. As I’ve gotten older, these sentiments have become more centered on the people, plants and animals around. Thankfully we have moved on from rejected toys to actual living things. 


            Until a few days ago, this instinct hadn’t caused me too much inner turmoil. However, I was reminded during our visit to the DEC/APA how difficult it can be when two equally strong sides calling for help come into conflict, especially when helping one cause will directly harm the other. If I were the one classifying state land in the Adirondack Park, my initial reaction would always be to put any parcel as far out of harm’s way as possible. In other words, in the “wilderness” category. That being said, that was all thrown into question when I thought about the desperate families whose towns are in need of economic stimulation just to stay afloat. Are there a few acres to spare so that a group of struggling people can feed themselves? How many is a few? I certainly don’t have an answer, and perhaps there isn’t just one, but some would argue that that’s what this park is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment