Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Educated by These Autumnal Colours

Recently, I have been struggling not with the idea of death but the viewing of it. In the last year, death had become a very prominent factor in the lives of the people around me. I often did not know what to say when my loved ones confided in me their feelings of loss. One day in confused efforts to lighten up the mood, someone asked me to bring their loved one back to life. 

This broke my heart. I wanted so much to say that I could and would. But I could do nothing. Instead I drew this:

I desperately wanted to capture life and death in the same moment, to somehow bring life back to death. It was even hard to draw. I never finished this drawing but I was reminded of it in class when someone referenced Thoreau's Autumnal Tints.The last thing I drew was a dead leaf even though it wasn't full of life like I intended the plants growing around the skull to be.  

In Autumnal Tints Thoreau says that fallen leaves "teach us how to die." I never thought of Autumn leaves in this way. I only knew them as a celebratory change that we look forward to. I realised though that what we are actually celebrating, maybe without even realising it, is death. I wondered why, in this American culture, we do not approach the death of our loved ones the way we approach the death of leaves. 

In some cultures, like Mexican cultures, death and the dead are celebrated and honoured- just as the leaves are when Autumn sets in. I always want to say to people mourning over death that the loss of their loved one is part of the circle of life, that their death will allow the grass to grow and the cows to eat, but that is not what everyone wants to hear. People want to hear that the person will come back and although I wish I could tell them that they will, I know that if the leaves did not fall from a tree, the tree would die. 

And maybe that's enough reason to celebrate. 







3 comments:

  1. Great post, Kianee! Your drawing is particularly impressive--both a bit scary and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This totally relates to why fall is my favorite season! I don't think I was talking to you, I think it was someone else... but I was babbling about why autumn is my favorite season and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I said that I know that spring represents rebirth, and fall represents death, but something about the idea of death luring around all the time makes me feel comfortable, energized, and inspired. It's not that I'm suicidal or think that death is better than life-- I have not died yet to know -- but the way trees let go of their appendages, animals prepare for the worst, wildlife calms down, and some species travel elsewhere, causes me to become more introspective and not depend on the outside world for stimulation. It doesn't feel so dark and cold as winter, when I am distracted by the biological desire for warmth and love and energy, but there is just enough comfort and just enough around me to make me feel at peace. Like anything more would make me feel drained, distract me from who I really am. I don't feel the need to go to the beach. I don't feel the need to start a fire. I can go outside and reminisce about what is on the verge of life and death. Perhaps I love fall because I have a tendency to turn inward and curl up inside myself year round, and fall is one of the only times when I feel like more of my friends and family turn inwards as well. It is a time of returning to work, education, and cultivating our own purpose. More people get sick and die when the weather gets cold and crisper, but the air feels fresher, cleaner to me. I cough and sneeze and just want to stay in bed all day sometimes too, but I usually don't feel like I'm missing out. I feel like I'm part of something bigger, sort of like the circle of life you mention I guess. Yeah I'm gonna stop babbling... It's just something I keep trying to figure out about myself... why as a generally optimistic and light-hearted person, the saddest, spookiest time of the year most associated with death makes me happy. I'll be able to explain it better sometime I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful drawing and a beautiful idea. I have also wished that American culture had a healthier and more open way of approaching the subject of death, and I admire traditions like Day of the Dead for celebrating the lives of people who have died rather than skirting the subject entirely. I like the idea of using nature as a metaphor for death to help us embrace a potentially painful topic.

    ReplyDelete