Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Blue smoke cigarettes, Art supply store leaves

Start recording synesthesia stuff? Did I spell that right? Mm My fingers are rush rush rushing. Nicotine's got me wild. I'm a free spirit, come play for a while. We can talk about shapes and the way they move around your body. I want to fill a vase with poison and call it a sacrifice. Feed it to the demons inside me watch them curl into smoke screaming like the fire in your living room I am by no means holy. Crack me open, find wires entangled around my secrets. I want to be the poison on your fingertips while you get high off of that shit you call life- tell me one more time what that even is.  
I'm afraid of me more than I am of you.
The tree was blue and so were the mountains (they were a little more purple). The smoke kept changing, it tastes like the colour of clay but it came out blue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m sure out of context this probably reads as some sort of “drug” journal or the beginnings of a mental breakdown but I promise this is normal for me. For those of you who do not know what synesthesia is, here is a pretty decent explanation:

source: https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/syne.html

Seeing the world in its colours and my own colours has always been part of my life; So has poetry and prose, hence the random prose-poem (maybe?) in the middle of the above journal. Living in the Adirondacks in the middle of a seasonal transition is incredibly overwhelming (in a very humbling and beautiful way). There are so many colours! As I was walking behind Alpine the other day, there was mist at the top of the mountains that lingered over red, orange, and brown leaves. I was in awe. Looking at all of those colours at once with the mist above them made me suddenly smell the inside of an art supply store my mother and I would spend hours in during my childhood. I was overcome by it. I often think of that smell as home and I think that is due to the fact that we moved so much while living in New York City but we always found our way back to that particular store. In a sense, it was one of the only constants I had during my childhood in the city. It was amazing to see something so beautiful and new to me and then have it accompanied by a smell of something so familiar and comforting.


2 comments:

  1. My wife (Sally) has synesthesia too. She strongly associates numbers and letters with specific colors. We probably all have it some degree, but it's amazing to hear people who have strong synesthesia speak about how important this is to the way they see and experience the world. Kind of makes me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's amazing to know! Thanks so much. I also associate colors strongly with specific letters and numbers.

    ReplyDelete